COOK: 3-5 hours
If you’re a chocolate lover looking for a clean cake recipe that will wow the pants off even the most hardcore chocolate bar lovers, this is it! I have taken inspiration from the classic snickers bar and made a few clean ingredient swaps to give this decadently delicious three layered chocolate cake the absolute yummy factor! While it tastes naughty, we can confidently assure it’s 100% free from all the nasties, i.e. gluten, dairy, preservatives, etc. it is suitable for the vegan and anyone with intolerances. One bite of this tasty treat and you’ll never go back.
WHAT YOU NEED
Ingredients For The Base:
- 1 cup gluten free oats
- 1 cup peanuts
- 2 tbsp all natural peanut butter
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup dates
Ingredients For Caramel & Nut Layer:
- 2 cups dates
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp all natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2.5 cups peanuts
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
Ingredients For Nougat Layer:
- 1 cup cashews (soaked overnight)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp date syrup
Ingredients For The Chocolate Layer:
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp water
- Start by placing all the base ingredients into a food processor and mix well until it makes a sticky, dough-like texture. If you roll the mixture into a ball, it should stick well.
- Line a 6 or 7 inch cake tray with baking paper and press the base ingredients into the base of the cake tray and flatten out the base. Place this in the freezer while you make the rest of the layers.
- Start making the caramel & nut layer by mixing all the ingredients for the caramel & nut layer without the peanuts. Once the date mixture turns into a paste, add the peanuts at the very end without crushing it too much. You want to keep the peanuts chunky (just like it is in the snickers bar)
- Once you add the peanuts in the end, pulse a few times and spread this sticky caramel layer over the base which you prepared earlier. Freeze this layer while you make the nougat layer.
- You don’t need to wash the food processor, add all the ingredients for the nougat layer and mix for about 5-7 minutes as the cashews will take a while to breakdown and form a thick creamy paste.
- Pour this nougat paste over the caramel and nuts layer and freeze for about 3 hours.
- Make the chocolate mixture, by mixing all the ingredients for the chocolate topping. You can spread the chocolate as you like. I put it into an icing tube and make a design with it to make it look pretty, but you can just spread it over.
- Allow to freeze for about 3-4 hours so the cake really sets well and once you are ready to serve, allow it to sit out for about 15 mins before you cut, slice and enjoy x